Abdu's Story

September 2, 2015

In the spring, we made a second visit to Abdu's village, which is approximately 60 miles from the city in which we presently live. We spent the entire day with new friends chatting, eating, resting and telling some stories of how Jesus healed the sick, the blind and the deaf. After a very full day, we said our goodbyes with the men, women and children surrounding our car echoing their "usekos" (thank yous) for making the journey.

About two weeks after the visit, Scott received a phone call from the village Qur'anic teacher, Mamudu. He asked if Scott could pick him up at the bus station and take him and his little brother, Abdu, to the local hospital as his little brother was severely ill. After seeing the boy, Scott was quite concerned. Apparently, he had been sick at home for quite some time and had lost a lot of weight, his stomach was distended, his breathing was labored, and he was in a lot of pain. Abdu had been playing with the other village boys and had fallen hard on his abdomen on a wooden log.

The next day, Scott, Kerry and I went to the local hospital to see how Abdu was doing and were quite alarmed when we observed little had been done for Abdu. He had an IV and had received an antibiotic but nothing else. Scott, the non-medical one in the group, immediately saw that Abdu's lung had collapsed. We all saw that his abdomen was even more distended and Abdu did not look good. We did not want to be a nuisance but we insisted that something be done. With a lot of nudging, the nurses were able to get him in for an x-ray and ultrasound, and that is when they discovered that he had a hemothorax (blood in the lungs) and peritonitis (belly full of pus from a rupture). The surgeon came in and said that he needed surgery. Mamudu looked at Scott and told him they must go to our hospital if he had to have surgery. It just so happened that Scott and I were planning a trip to our hospital the next day. So that morning, we loaded Abdu in the car (with his chest tube) along with is aunt Dijja and Mamudu and we were on our way.

On the way to our hospital, we stopped on the highways in the big town next to Abdu's village. Once we arrived there, our car was surrounded by many of Abdu's family members and village people who had come to see Abdu before his surgery. When they saw Abdu in the car and his deteriorated state, they were deeply saddened and showed fear in their faces. We tried to encourage them that everything was going to be Ok and that God loves Abdu.

So we were on the road again. Abdu had not had anything to eat or drink for 10 days now, so he was crying of thirst and hunger. Also, for every bump we hit on the road, he would grimace with pain and whimper. Scott tried to make that eight-hour drive as smooth as possible but it is very difficult to miss all the potholes.


We did finally make it to our hospital and with the welcome they received, Mamudu, Abdu and Dijja experienced something like going from one extreme of poor health care to the other. This is because, as soon as we pulled up to our hospital, the guards brought out a wheelchair for Abdu, the nurses admitted him to prediatrics and with an hour, Abdu had an IV going, had an ultrasound done and the on call doctor was examining him, formulating a plan. He was to have surgery the next day.


We were so happy to be back "home" at our hospital where the staff sincerely care about the welfare of the patients. Mamudu, Abdu and Dijja were overwhelmed with the care and compassion they were receiving. We were praying for Abdu, asking the Lord for complete healing and restored health. We were also praying for their hearts to be open to God's love and His grace.


Abdu had surgery and all went well, but we knew that he had a long road to recovery. Scott and I stayed at our hospital for about four days before returning to our new hometown. We had full confidence that we were leaving Abdu in great hands. His family stayed at the hospital for four weeks. During that time, Mamudu was exposed to some biblical stories and was able to watch the Jesus film. The field team, back in our hometown, were praying hard that Jesus would visit Mamudu, Dijja and Abdu while they were staying at the hospital.

Abdu was discharged and they made the journey back to their village safely. The whole village celebrated with great joy to see Abdu alive and healthy.

While we were in the US, our teammates let us know they had made a trip to the village to check on Abdu. Everyone was thrilled to see them, and our team was happy to see Abdu up and around (not quite playing with the children yet but looking so much better than he did before).

We continue to pray for Abdu, Mamudu, and Dijja that the seeds were planted in their hearts would find good soil. We hope to go back to visit Abdu and his family. We pray that we will get to tell them more stories about the great works of Jesus. We believe that Abdu will now be able to relate personally to the stories of how Jesus healed the sick. Pray that their hearts will be open to receive His love.


(This is Abdu a few months after his surgery, healthy and strong.)

- Lee, Field Team Member

*The names have been changed for the safety of all involved.

Return to Blog Listings

Post a Comment

You can help MCWA by supporting recruitment, training, sending and other daily operation costs as well as current team members.

Make a Donation